City of Buchanan

General Information

History

Buchanan, the county seat of Haralson County, was incorporated December 22, 1857. Prior to that year the town's name was Pierceville, but another Georgia town already held the name, so it was renamed after U.S. president James Buchanan, who had recently taken office.

The Old Haralson County courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1974. There is no solid information about the town's original courthouse, but the one built in 1891, a prime example of a public building constructed in the Queen Anne style, is still extant and today houses the Buchanan-Haralson Public Library and the Haralson County Historical Society. The clock tower was added in 1897. The current courthouse was built in 1972.